Professional Teeth Cleanings
What Is a Professional Teeth Cleaning?
Also known as prophylaxis, a professional teeth cleaning is a painless process that removes plaque and tartar from the teeth and gums to prevent the development of decay and gum disease. It also involves polishing of the teeth to remove unwanted surface stains that accumulate in between cleanings.
Benefits of Teeth Cleanings
Professional teeth cleanings offer a slew of benefits, including:
- Prevention of tooth decay
- Protection against gum disease
- Early detection of cavities
- Early diagnosis and treatment of gum disease
- Prevention of the need for more elaborate and costly dental work
What to Expect During a Teeth Cleaning at Our Port St. Lucie, Florida, Dental Office
- Consultation & Exam: Our dentist will start by reviewing your dental history and asking questions regarding prior dental work and any current symptoms you may have. Then our dentist will begin examining your teeth and gums to look for signs of decay and disease.
- Plaque & Tartar Removal: After the exam, our dentist will begin to remove the plaque and tartar from your teeth and gums using a series of manual dental instruments. This process is completely painless.
- Polish & Floss: Once all plaque and tartar have been eliminated, our dentist will polish your teeth using a professional toothpaste (in a flavor of your choosing!) and toothbrush. Then our dentist will floss your teeth to eliminate any remaining debris and check for additional signs of gum disease.
- Rinse & Fluoride: You'll rinse your mouth a final time before our dentist applies fluoride to your teeth, which provides added protection against tooth decay.
- Recommendations: At the end of your appointment, our dentist will discuss any recommendations for additional procedures with you to treat any decay, disease or other problems discovered during the exam. Otherwise, our dentist may simply recommend that you return in six months for another exam and teeth cleaning and continue with a thorough oral hygiene regimen at home. Your at-home oral care should consist of brushing for two minutes twice per day, flossing at least once per day and using an antibacterial mouthwash once or twice per day or as-needed.
If it's time for your biannual teeth cleaning at St. Lucie Family Dental, call our Port St. Lucie, Florida, office at 772-446-4816 to schedule an appointment.